"Mount Hunter is a siren. Its seductive song captivated me the first time I heard it. I have thrown aside logic and maybe even reason to try to climb it. I am not alone on this bewitchment" Scott Backes

Monday, May 16, 2011

Friend or Food

I am a bit of a social character..and being in BC alone has got me thinking about many things about being on my own for long periods of time.... About how one could easily become wrapped up in their own little world loosing all sense of social etiquette and communication skills. Becoming some what of a Hermit. How you might start to crave friendship and start to humanise certain inanimate objects like my favorite actor Tom Hanks did on Cast Away with his ball Wilson or Coconut Joe... How you might eventually crave for food and begin to eat things you might not otherise even consider, (in an attempt of survival of course). So been thinking over the past few days if I was up here all on my own for months on end, how would I deal with the occasional passer by, I mean would I befriend them and invite them in for coffee, or would I cunningly lure the cold and hungry critter in from the path, splashing big words like... Hot Coffee, Cheese, Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Tinned fruit around and when their gaurd is down, do I trap them in a snow pit and add them to my food stash....I mean one can one handle so much tinned carrots and tinned beans on rice.

And dont tell me you have not thought about it before. This is the second expedition I have been on where the entire group/ majority have already decided who is being eaten first if the food runs out.... Yes you guessed it.... they always chose me.... Why do I look so juicy and tender?

Dave

PS... no word from the boys yet... it is only mid day, but the clouds are blocking the view of the buttress so cant even follow them with the binos.. will drop you a message later when I get word.

No comments:

Post a Comment